Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Beef and Barley Soup


Meaty beef marrow bones, or any combination that has bones and meat
I used 8 large marrow bones and a small cheap roast. Added bonus of marrow on crusty bread, too! :D

5 cups beef broth or water and bouillon
16 ounces chopped canned tomatoes, including juice
1 large onion, chopped
3/4 t. dried basil, crushed
2 cups sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
3/4 cup chopped green pepper
2/3 cup barley
1/4 cup snipped parsley

Roast bones and meat, till brown and cooked. Remove to large pot to start soup. Add water and simmer, covered 2 hours, chill. I do this on the day before I want to serve the soup. You could do all in one day, but removing the fat from broth is tougher.

Day two, I skim fat off the top of chilled broth, and remove bones. Add vegetables and simmer 2 hours. I remove meat from bones, add back to soup. One hour before serving, add barley.

I double or triple this recipe and we eat it for a couple days! Everyone loves it!

Serve hot with fresh bread. Enjoy!


When I brought the bones home from the market, they were frozen. No problem, they'll roast just as well!

Roasted bones, small beef roast and celery bottom go into soup pot.

Cans of broth and or water and bouillon over the bones to simmer.

Canned tomatoes. Since I'm making this all in one day, I'm just adding everything at once. If you will split cooking between two days, just simmer bones and then add veggies the second day.

Sliced onion.

Sliced carrots added to the pot.

By the way, if you are slicing up your carrots, either with a mandolin or knife, you can leave the tops on as a handle. It gives you something to grip as you slice.

Dried basil and pepper are the only spices. And if I feel it needs a little salt, I often times will use beef bouillon as salt, just to add taste, not just salt.

Stir it all up and turn heat to high.

Once it boils, turn the heat to simmer and put a lid on.

Bones come out after a couple hours, allow to cool so you can pull the meat off.

Small beef roast comes out to be chopped up, as well.

I add celery now, since I took out the roasted celery stalk I had in there while making the broth.

Remove and chop any meat left on your marrow bones. This can vary greatly, depending on the bones.

I prefer a meaty soup, so I always buy a small beef roast to chop up.

All in all, I end with 4 cups of chopped up beef. This is intended to be a meal, not a first course. If it's just a starter, I wouldn't even add extra meat.

Time to add the barley. I prefer regular barley as opposed to quick cooking. I like the texture better. It takes at least an hour to cook this. It can simmer for hours though, if you want.

In goes the barley.

Anyone in the neighborhood have a dog that'd like a few bones? :)

It's so chocked full, it's almost stew! Ready to eat?



No comments:

Post a Comment