Monday, May 11, 2020

Egg Foo Yung - Simplified



A wee bit involved, but you can do it!! 


Serves 2 (4 nice sized patties)
Patties:
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup chopped or slices water chestnut
3/4 cup bean sprouts, fresh or canned
1/4 bamboo shoots, finely sliced or chopped
2-3 nice mushrooms, sliced

6 eggs
3/4 teaspoon soy sauce
3/4 teaspoon oyster sauce

oil for frying

Sauce: 
2.25 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules, to taste -enough for water amount
3/4 tablespoon oyster sauce
1.5 cup cold water
1.5 tablespoon soy sauce
***********************************************

Use a smallish frying pan to get patties the size you want. 

For sauce; combine sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Cook 1-2 minutes more. Keep it warm while you fry up the Egg Foo Yung.

In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, soy sauce and oyster sauce. For the vegetables, I combine them on a dinner plate and separate into 4 little piles. When I'm ready to cook, I heat the pan with a little oil and ladle in about 1/2 cup of the egg mixture and add in one of the veggie piles. I QUICKLY stir around the veggies to evenly disperse into the eggs. I use a chopstick, use what you have.   Fry a minute or so on each side, until golden brown. Remove from pan, keep warm under foil on a plate, repeat until you've used all your egg and vegetable mixture. Stir up the bowl before each scoop, to keep the mixture evenly mixed. Add more oil to pan as you need to. Serve over rice with your warmed sauce.

Feel free to add meats as you'd like to. Leftover cooked chicken, ham and shrimp are all great additions. :D

Collect your ingredients and have them all ready before heating your pan. 
It goes quickly once you start and everything needs to be ready to toss into the hot pan. 


Eggs go into a bowl big enough to beat. 


Start your sauce first before making patties. 


Add soy sauce and oyster sauce to eggs and beat together. 


Use what veggies you can. If you can't find something, it's okay. 
Skip it or substitute something else. 
I can't always find what I'm looking for, here in France. I improvise. 


I divide the veggies into portions so I evenly share them between the 4 patties. 


My Honey likes mushrooms, I don't care for them. 


Sauce looks perfect. it cleared up and got thick. Now, just keep it warm.


Eggs are beaten. 


Pour sauce over and enjoy! 

I actually have a video! Take a look. 😋




 

No comments:

Post a Comment